The Holiday Season is upon us! If you have a loved one who has recently had a baby, is having a baby soon or has a child that may need some extra assistance getting into healthy sleep habits you may be interested in giving them a gift that will benefit the whole family. One of the most coveted and needed things you can offer new parents and their little one is the gift of sleep! Sue and her staff at Tender Care Newborn Services have put together a list of some of the top Baby Sleep Gifts for 2019.
Swaddling a newborn baby can greatly assist in the quality of their sleep. Swaddles make newborns feel secure and cozy, all without worrying about blankets or loose material that could be dangerous.
Let’s take a look at some of the brands available:
- Halo offers a sleep sack that is multi-way adjustable. You can choose whether to swaddle with arms in, arms out, or one arm in and one arm out, giving you the options that best suit your baby. Halo is the number one brand used by hospitals nationwide. The average price for a Halo swaddle is $34.99. They also offer customizable options such as monogramming, color threads, or initials.
- Storksak offers lovely swaddle blankets that come perfect for gifting in a matching luxury drawstring bag. The swaddle is made of breathable muslin and is very lightweight. Average price is $15.
- Miracle Blanket Swaddle is a great choice for the restless and wiggly infant. This swaddle is made of 100 percent cotton and is free of zippers and Velcro. Average price is $29.95.
- Woombie is the favorite swaddle at Tender Care Newborn Services. It is easy to use and effective. Average price is $29.99
There are many other Swaddles to choose from so you are sure to find a brand that is just the gift you are looking for at the right price!
2. Sleep Sacks
Sleep Sacks are very similar to swaddles and are best for use beyond the infant stage. Some of the same brands above also offer sleep sacks! Sleep Sacks have armholes for the baby to be freer and easily fit over most baby sleepwear. They usually zip up the front and are simply a comfortable sack that keeps babies? legs and feet covered inside the sack.
Here are some great sleep sack options:
- Bon Bebe offers a long sleeve version. Average price is $14 for a set of two.
- Burt’s Bees is known for their super soft cotton. They offer a sleeveless wearable blanket in organic cotton. Average price is $23.
- Baby Deedee Fleece Sleeping Bag is a great sack for those that live in colder regions. This sack is fleecy and toasty warm. Staring at $26.99.
3. Blackout Curtains
Blackout curtains are something that adults are often a fan of. They are great for people who work the night shift or want to sleep in every once in a while, without sunlight waking them up, but they are also must-haves for babies They help babies sleep well through daytime naps and early morning sunrises. Melatonin is the key hormone for sleep and often once sunlight begins to enter the room, melatonin stops flowing and children wake up. Unlike in the past when the only option was black, these curtains now come in a variety of colors and designs to match any nursery.
Some Brands to consider are:
- JCPenney Sun Zero Energy Saving Blackout Curtains. Average price $35.
- IKEA Marjun offers a pair for $49.99.
- Redi Shades is another option we love starting at $30.
4. White Noise Machines
Babies are often sleeping when others in the house are awake. A proper sound machine can make a big difference in drowning out household noises and outside sounds so that the baby can sleep peacefully. It is best to purchase a sound machine that has the option to stay on all night. This way if the baby wakes in the middle of the night, they are more likely to be able to put themselves back to sleep due to the soothing sound.
For White Noise Machines:
- Lectrofan is the only brand we recommend at Tender Care Newborn Services. We have found that this one offers the best sound quality and decibel levels. We recommend playing white or brown noise only as this keeps the brain from being distracted by the different sounds from music, heartbeats, the ocean, etc. Average price is $49.99.
- The Marapac Hushh Portable White Noise Machine is our second favorite and is a great portable option.
5. Thermometer for Room Temperature
The temperature of a baby?s room can have a great impact on the baby?s quality of sleep. Parents will want the room cool enough to prevent the sleeping baby from becoming sweaty, while also keeping it warm enough for the baby to be comfortable without blankets. Amazon has many great selections for monitoring the temperature of a room.
Some top choices are:
6. Baby Bath Time Washes and Lotions
Bath time can be a nice relaxing and winding down time for babies just as it is for adults. Many parents make this a solid part of the bedtime routine. Soft scents of lavender and vanilla can be great calming choices. These items make both thoughtful and useful gifts! Body washes, shampoos, and lotions are all options perfect for gifting. You could even choose a few of your favorites and put together a lovely baby bath time gift basket complete with a towel and washcloth.
Here are just a few great options:
- Pipette Baby Essentials Baby Wash and Moisturize Kit – $44
- Baby Bum Duke’s Bath Gift Set – $20
- Burts Bees Baby Sweet Memories Gift Set – $14.39
7. Melatonin Lights
We all know that melatonin is something that our body needs to produce in order to promote healthy sleeping habits and the ability to fall asleep easily. There are special yellow and red-toned lights that actually improve the flow of Melatonin in the body.
Amazon has a variety of these available from brands such as:
Nightgowns are a wonderful option for infants. Rather than a full zip-up pajama, this allows for fast and efficient diaper changes during the night with little disturbance, so that baby can go back to sleep quickly.
These can be found online and in most stores with baby products. Here are a few we suggest:
- Touched by Nature Organic Cotton Kimono Gowns – $20-$25 3-pack
- Carter?s Sleeper Gowns – $15 3-pack
- Hudson Baby Cotton Gowns – $24 3-pack
9. Essential Oils
Essential Oils carry many great benefits, but should always be discussed with a pediatrician before use. If given the green light, a couple of scents that are great for babies are chamomile and lavender. Both of these scents have been known to improve sleep and relieve the symptoms of colic. Be sure to purchase from the pure brands so that you are getting a quality product without fillers. One of the more popular and well-known brands is Young Living. An essential oil diffuser along with a couple of oils makes a lovely gift!
We recommend checking these out:
While we don’t suggest pacifiers for older babies as their teeth begin to come in, they are a helpful item for newborns! Pacifiers are another gift that you can give on a tight budget, or add to a gift package.
Some great options are:
11. Okay to Wake Clocks
Okay to wake clocks are wonderful gifts for families with a toddler/preschooler. Toddlers and preschoolers are notorious for waking up very early. These clocks give them a visual signal when it is still time to sleep or stay and bed and when it is time to wake up and start the day. In many households, these have been very effective and help parents get a bit more sleep.
- The Hatch Rest is a perfect sound machine/nightlight/okay to wake combo that can be used from infancy through the preschool age. $59.99 on Amazon.
As you can see the Baby Sleep Gift Giving options are plentiful! Get creative and add little personal touches of your own to any of these ideas. Things that will spruce up and personalize the nursery can be great additions to any of these sleep assisting gifts. By giving baby sleep gifts you are giving a gift that will benefit the whole family! When the baby sleeps well, parents are able to sleep better. Your thoughtfulness will carry well on into the New Year!
We wish you a blessed and happy Holiday Season!
Sue has been a Sleep Consultant for 4 years and is a member of the Association for Professional Sleep Consultants. She specializes in solving sleep issues for families with infants through 3 years old. It is her passion to change lives by helping families get the sleep they need and desire.
Sue is the owner of Tender Care Newborn Services, a thriving Overnight Newborn Care agency and sleep coaching service that helps families throughout Orlando Florida and Nationwide.