Here at the Association of Professional Sleep Consultants we want to ensure that our members are up to date with the most relevant and progressive products and sleep aids on the market. Our featured product for this month is the ?Wearable blanket? – an innovative sleepwear design which offers a welcome solution to the everyday dilemma of blankets and baby sleeping bags.
We connected with the Australian creator and founder of Hello Night, Tu Dang, about her journey with the ?Wearable Blanket? from inception to market, her inspiration, challenges, successes, and her vision for the future.
What gets you up in the morning?
I love waking up to cuddles with my children (now three and five years old). Their energy in the morning gives me energy and I?m excited to start the day by thinking about how many boxes I can tick of my to-do list for the day.
How long has this journey from inception to now taken you?
Creating and thinking about clothing is something that I do constantly (even without thinking about it). I had the idea for the business about three years ago, but with my children still so young, I wasn?t able to get it off the ground until just recently. Fortunately with my background and resources available, I was able to get the development going quite quickly. I started putting pen to paper in January 2016, and launched the site in July 2016.
What have been your successes along the way?
Although the concept and site is still very new, I have had great feedback from customers who comment on how soft and fine the fabric is and what a difference it has made to their children?s bedtime routine!
Coming from purely a design and product background, one of the biggest challenges I faced in setting up the brand was learning about the ?business? and marketing side of things ? something I?m still learning. In addition to this, I sometimes struggle with the time constraints faced when juggling between business and being a mum to two young children.
Key product benefits/messages:
?I want to offer an alternative to the sleeping bags, something that will give toddlers the ability to move and encourage their independence?
- The ?Wearable blanket? warms like a blanket, fits like a pajama.
- 100 percent Australian Merino Wool and Australian made
- All natural, soft and fine fibers – no scratchy bits
- Lightweight and soft – provides superior warmth without the ?bulkiness?
- Insulates and breathes, providing superior warmth without overheating
- Suitable for all seasons as it helps regulate body temperature – keeping your child warm when it?s cold, and cool when it is hot
- Natural fire retardant – so it?s safe to sleep in
- Hypoallergenic and antibacterial, so suitable for sensitive skin
- Stain resistant, and machine washable
- Snug fit with room to grow – up to approximately two years of age
- Designed to be worn with layers. Layer up, or layer down to suit the child?s room temperature
- The separate leg openings provide freedom and safety to move without restriction (promotes independence in young children)
- The blanket enables children to safely climb in and out of bed, and go to the toilet
- The zip construction allows easy access for self dressing
What is your vision for the future?
I am passionate about using and promoting Australian Merino Wool. The quality of the wool is exceptionally soft and fine and I want it to become more mainstream to Australian consumers – particularly for childrenswear because of the many benefits. My vision for the brand is to continue using Merino wool to produce high quality sleepwear for children that is practical and fashionable that will appeal to customers in Australia and eventually globally.
The Wearable blanket is now shipping Internationally, and to celebrate this milestone, Tu has generously offered our APSC members (and their clients) 15% off the Wearable Blanket for orders of $100 and over. Simply enter: LOVEWOOL at checkout, and happy shopping!
Our leadership team at the APSC is excited to share this new, and fantastic product – and would love your feedback on this should you decide to trial for yourself or on behalf of your clients.